Thursday, July 8, 2010

Weekly Beer Thoughts, July 5-11: It's Hot!

Damn it's hot outside!

But, here's the real question: Is it too hot to drink? Ohhhh...I don't think so. If weather predicates your beer consumption habits than this is the wrong blog for you. Here at the Corner Stool we conquer adversity like so many stomped ants, we plow through challenges whether it be hot weather, cold weather, rainy weather, hot weather (wait, I already said that), and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure why all of my theoretical hardships are weather-related. I'll talk about that with my therapist.

So anywho, what are some good seasonal brews for this time of the year in which the heat is so stifling that sitting waist deep in a kiddie pool on the front lawn doesn't seem like such a bad idea - not that I am speaking from personal experience nor have I done that several times this past week and I don't care what my neighbors tell you.

Lindemans Framboise, PĂȘche, Kriek or Pomme

Fruit lambics are very much under-appreciated beers which is ironic because they are by far and away the most refreshing next to a bubblegum-like, fresh banana wheat beer or the clean bite of a German pilsener. Lindemans is what you will find in abundance, which is good as they are fairly well reviewed but I don't know whether they use fruit extract or traditional whole fruits in order to blend the taste.

Above, I named the most prevalent brews from Lindemans fruit lambics you will see at your local beer-monger: Framboise is Raspberry, PĂȘche is Peach, Kriek is Cherry and Pomme is Apple, at that point it's really up to taste buds as each brew imparts a pretty heavy-handed flavor for each. I prefer the Pomme because I really enjoy that tart, Granny Smith apple kind of taste and nose, man this is making me thirsty!

Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis and Jolly Pumpkin's Calabaza Blanca

When thinking of wheat beers, what first comes to mind I'm sure are the pale to burnt orange, spritzy styles of southern Germany's "Weissbiers" or wheat beers, but wheat can be applied in several different fine examples such as German dunkel-weizen (dark wheat), American brewing also has come up with their own versions of dark wheat ales or Belgium's witbiers (white beer) of which the popular Hoegaarden is a good example.

Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is a good representation of the German tradition of wheat beers. Released last year about this time, the beer is relatively new and features a yeasty drinkability of citrus and banana coupled with a full, pillowy head. Very refreshing indeed.

Calabaza Blanca is a witbier that strikes more tartness than say like Hoegaarden which is an easy drinking session beer for the most part. I honestly can't tell you much more about it as I have not had the beer in quite a while, but I can tell you that after every JP beer I try, I gain more and more respect for the hometown brewery done good.

So here's to all you beer consumers out there trying to stay cool, cheers! And don't be ashamed about that kiddie pool, just make sure you wear swimming trunks and not Speedos - which, again, is definitely not something I have learned through personal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment