Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weekly Beer Thoughts, July 19-25: Beer Fest just two days away

As of this writing the wonderful, glorious, grand, exhilarating Summer Brewers Guild Fest is a little less than 48 hours away. For adults, the glory of Beer Fest is as close to Christmas morning as we will ever reclaim. I'm still waiting to come home and see gift wrapped jet skis in my driveway - in the meantime, this will suffice just fine.

Beer Fest is my moment. It literally is something I look forward to all year long because in a way myself, along with other news people in the area become a part of the festival by getting to know the people and places that go into this highly popular annual tradition. Personally I know that I gain more and more appreciation for how much hard work goes into the whole thing every year on behalf of the Brewers Guild and the brewers themselves. And the brewers take it very seriously. This is isn't some namby-pamby (try looking that term up in the Associated Press Style book) spur of the moment thing for these guys where they haul out a few kegs of their year-round brews and hopefully try to win over some customers.

Heck no!

Ron Jeffries from Jolly Pumpkin had a beautiful and succinct way of answering one of my questions when I recently sat down with him. I asked, "What is important about Beer Fest?" And he said without any hesitation and as matter-of-factly as can be mustered, "It's a chance to meet our 'people' face to face...and shake their hands."

Now when Ron says "people" I thought that was a pretty interesting way to put it. He explained that what he meant were those "people" are more than just customers, they are those who happily and enthusiastically support his brewery and are more or less dedicated to drinking Jolly Pumpkin beers. In short, there are those who would follow Jolly Pumpkin to hell and back...not that there would be any reason for that (just an expression).

And I think a lot brewers feel that way, for no matter how big one gets or how many New York Times articles are written about how your beer beats most Belgian-style beers (including the ones made in Belgium), it still feels good to be told you are doing a good job by the people who matter most - Jolly Pumpkin people, or Arbor Brewing Company people, or Bells people or Founders people...you get the picture.

Ron Jeffries is a very nice person. When he says that his favorite part of the festival is meeting these loyal and dedicated JP fans, the same fans who have helped bolster his once tiny brewery into a regional powerhouse and current market trend-setter - I believe him.

Anyway, I think I lost my original point of this, what was it? Oh yeah...See ya at Beer Fest! And don't forget to seek me out so you can get a video clip of yourself.

Beer list highlights

The brewery and tentative beer list has been released per the Michigan Brewers Guild blog, The Mash. See here: http://www.mbgmash.org/

There are several highlights that jump out right away, the first and foremost being that Bells Brewing Inc., will be making a triumphant return and bringing the heavy guns. In addition to favorites that have catapulted Bells on a national level - namely Oberon, Hopslam and Two Hearted Ale - they are also bringing a bourbon barrel-aged stout, a Berliner-weisse (a fastly disappearing German style of beer) and two Biere De Gardes...am I reading that right? One Biere De Garde made by Bells is pretty intriguing, but two!?!?!

Founders is always a festival favorite as I can always tell when the KBS is tapped as a mile-long line forms in under a minute. Well this year, Founders has decided to quit pussyfooting around and bring Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout - awesome. And not to be tampered with is their Black Biscuit which is a strong ale, or old ale as some label it. The CBS and the Black Biscuit, I believe, is one of the rare appearances for Founders. Last year, they debuted Hand of Doom imperial lager which was very nice.

So, the wrap it up (as I am way past my bedtime), there is going to be some truly wonderful things going on at Beer Fest and I hope to see everybody there!

No comments:

Post a Comment